Sunday, December 11, 2011

More yada yada

Alright.. played some battleship, a little Wii Fortune Street, and now the kids are in bed.

I hate this time of the evening.. I finally have free time to work, but my brain is starting to shut down and I'm really worthless trying to get any programming done.

Back to the thing... So yeah.  It was supposed to be a simple Roguelike, but not only did I decide to use graphics, but I also decided to roll my own entity component system for the game engine.  At this point, thinking about how stupid that was is moot because it's pretty much done.  It's done to the point where all I'm doing with it now is trying to figure out how to do little things like player movement with it, and philosophical things like is the player an entity, meta entities, etc.

I kind of ran into a chicken and egg problem where I wanted a player that I could walk around the screen, but I would need a world, character generator, etc.etc. So I just faked it and created a "test" system that gets called by the system manager during init that just creates a player entity and slaps him on the screen.  Doesn't work 100% yet.  Trying to decide how player control should go.  The obvious method would be to read input, check for collisions, and update player position.  Basically.  With our shiny new entity system, it's going to be something more like, Control System looks at game events and sends keystrokes to a dictionary of methods.  The methods decide what game components need to be updated, then various world systems check the components for new information and execute the changes required.

Ugh.  I don't even want to think about this right now without a clear head.  Gonna watch Neverland or something and fall asleep. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment