Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Fragmentation blues

This constant starting and stopping work on my game is really becoming a problem.  There's no way I can just work on it non-stop, which I would do if I could, so I need to find some kind of project management tool.

For instance, I set up my ghetto laptop (the old Dell that had water mysteriously spilled on it. Still works, but needs a usb keyboard hooked up to it) at a friends house the other night and got to work for about 4 hours straight.  It was nice.  One thing that came from that though, is that I found one major instance where I was working on two different solutions to the same problem in different parts of code.  Ugh.  I think every time I would sit down to code for 20 minutes, one or the other solution would come to mind and I would chip away at it.  Never realised what I was doing until I had enough time to work the problem all the way through and ran into the other solution.

Anyway, a good friend of mine, and professional project manager, suggested at least I use a project outline with items I check off as in progress or completed, etc.  He spent some time with me yesterday fleshing out an outline.

Another problem with not having any type of project management, as well as having unpredictable obligations with family, is getting interrupted in the middle of big rewrites or major changes.  I feel like a surgeon, covered in blood holding a patients guts in his hand, who is just told he needs to stop immediately and do something else.  Meh.

There's nothing useful in this post.  Just venting.

Oh, I'm back on map crap.  I think I finally found a solution that will work.  I forgot to think about what will make it easy for the render function to quickly get all the items that need to be drawn, and in what order.  Plus the ordered list for what's in a tile location is gone.  I'm going with three layers.  Background has only one item, foreground has only one item, and midground has a list ordered by eid (arbitrary, doesn't matter but shouldn't change).  Background and midground are always passable and foreground always blocks movement and line of sight.

And.. I should be coding instead of yakking.

No comments:

Post a Comment