Monday, December 12, 2011

The Grid

Man, I keep obsessing about this.  See, the problem with making a graphical roguelike is that even years and years ago, with text, you can have an onscreen tile grid of 80x25 or less frequently 80x50.  To do that with sprites, say I gave myself a measly 16x16, I'd need a 1280x1024 screen to do 80x64.
I like pixel art, and I can do a lot with 16x16.  The problem is when you're at 1280x1024, those 16x16 sprites are like, half a centimeter square or something.  You've also got the added problem that, now that you're not using abstract representations for the various creatures and objects, your images aren't going to be to scale.  Dragons are the same size as potion bottles for instance.  You could escape the tile size vertically, by having tiles that overlap the tiles "behind" them.  In that case though, you might want to make your tiles rectangular instead of square, to imply an angular view on the play map.  Ugh.. endless possibilities.  One problem when you're not working with a team is you get to flip all the coins, make all the decisions... meh.

Now my wife is looking over my shoulder and I'm feeling self conscious about what I'm writing, so that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment