Thursday, December 15, 2011

Maps maps maps...

Alright, so one of the problems I'm having I think is that.. I don't so much need a traditional map, with or without layers.. I need a world space for things to exist.  I mean, everything has coordinates, so why would some things be in a special map grid, and some things not.  Still not totally sure how the map is going to work, because for some things like LOS calculation or pathfinding, we're going to want a simple 2bit array of walkable/visible space.  But I think it'll probably be some type of BSP tree, or other hierarchical structure.  The entire world being the first node, then somewhere along the line there will be a screen sized node, then a square tile sized node, then ... what else.  Need to keep reading, both for education and inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment