Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Alright, so, more map brain storming...

Alright.. I'm liking the map scrolling system from the last post well enough.  Well enough to test it out at least.  Now, as far as storing map data.. how are we going to do that.  If I'm using something like libtcod for line of sight and pathfinding, then I'll need to pass it an array, not a list of entities.  I can have a system that creates that and passes it to the lib.. though I feel like that would be really computationally intensive...

Having a little trouble keeping a solid train of thought.. At my mother's house at the moment.  One kid is playing 10 feet to my left, one is playing 5 feet to my right, and my wife is talking about something.  Not to me.  I suppose I'm being a little rude by doing this rather than participating in various activities.  Eh, oh well.

Ugh, plus I've got to do something incredibly stressful in a couple hours. :-P  This guy that I worked with before I was laid off a couple months ago needs help with some computer stuff, and for some reason wants me to come down and help him.  He's paying me some unknown amount, rather than ask the IT staff that still work there, probably because the guys that are still there are jerks. ;-P  Well, no, really, they are.

Alright, totally sidetracked at this point.  Not going on a rant ... :P  Can either stop writing... oh dear, my 2 year old is pounding on the piano now... or try to muster my concentration and see what I can do.  I really am interested in finishing this game, so I'm going to try and keep working.

It would be cool if I had a laptop or something.  I could be programming right now instead of just blogging.. or journalling, or blathering, or whatever..

Anyway.. okay.. so the problem is, how do we deal with the map.  If the map tiles are going to be just another entity, then they shouldn't have a special map aspect since there will be a lot of things drawn besides map tiles.  They might need a weight, or layer property somewhere.  Maybe in the form aspect, like they already have an x and a y, so maybe they need a z.  The problem there is.. keeping track of what's on top of what.  Somewhere there has to be a list of what's in a tile so that we don't end up with two things with the same z.

Argh... interruptions every two seconds... gah... I need a hole in the ground, or a tree house, or a log cabin on the side of a mountain, or something. :-B

wtf.. where was I.  The ground is immutable, since it's a 2d game, so you could just have this massive grid and everything is assigned a unique id for what square in the world it exists.  That seems to go against the whole entity system though... I guess it makes sense though.  The alternative would be what.. you have each entity know what is above, below and beside it, and you draw the world relative to the player.  This massive linked list.. sort of.

Ugh... this is obviously not a good time to be working on this.  My wife just asked if she left some persimmons in the trunk of the car and I nearly lost it.  Wtf?!? Go look! I have no idea what you did with the persimmons you bought.  Are you telling me we have fruit rotting in the car?  I suppose if they are in the car, you need me to go get them, yes? :P

Eh.. better vent here than cause problems.  Gah...

No comments:

Post a Comment